View Single Post
Old 01-05-11, 12:35 PM   #821
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Tessa: Not possible ATM but it's maybe worth to be tested. I tried other things in the meantime. The problem is: We don't have the necessary dialog elements for telling the crew what to do: Drop torps over board or not. We are about to add new stuff to the game......that was not my intention .

It is alluring to add new stuff like that. But code gets more and more complex - no more solid - that's the problem.

So I have to concentrate on the most important things:

1) No reloading of externals (and internals) during storm (easy to do).

2) Program a certain delay time (2-12 minutes, depending on reload progress), during which

2a) Diving is not possible (dive-commands simply disabled) OR

2b) The player gets huge penalty (flooding, dead crew) when he orders to dive in that time.

I don't know if it's worth the effort to program lost torpedoes, since I don't know whether this situation did happen in RL.
From a book of mine that has some pictures of torpedo transfers, this pic was talking about boat to boat transfers, but the same underlying message is the same:

"Torpedo transfer on the high seas, here U-154 supplies a spare eel to U-564. As can be readily seen, such operations required large numbers on deck, the erection of winches and hoists and the opening of most hatches, an extremely vulnerable condition. Neither boat would be able to dive if discovered by air or sea search. Such scenes, of necessity, became less and less common as the war proceeded"

Though this is describing transfer between boats, all the same equipment needed to move from your own boat's external capsules into the torpedo rooms would still need to be out. IF a captain were to have crash dived as he saw a pair of B-24 on the horizon he would have to leave the hatches open and close the bulkheads to both torpedo compartments, which would flood them 100% until you could safely surface, put the gear away and close all the hatches, then pump all the water out. Would have been a good chance of damage to the deck and gear, and potentially drowning sailors on the deck if the captain is impatient or the bombers and getting too close to wait for everyone to get back inside.

I would go with option 2B, will look into some incidents I've recently read about of aircraft getting the jump on lazy crews to see what their fate and casualties were.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote