View Single Post
Old 12-02-15, 03:15 AM   #1
Captain Jeff
Seaman

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Beware of underwater obstructions!!

While looking through the internet for tips on how to play Silent Hunter 4 I noticed some threads dealing with "sudden death" where people were using time compression while they moved through what they thought was open ocean and suddenly their sub was sinking and they did not know why. The time compression never slowed. They just suddenly found themselves sinking.

Although I'm new to the sim I ran across a situation that may explain some of these instances. I had finished my first war patrol off of the coast of Japan and was making my way back to Pearl. I had a few torpedoes left, (fuel was the issue) so I was patrolling while making my way out of Japanese waters. It was daylight so I had submerged to 150 feet and was using 64 time compression while I stopped every 20-30 minutes and went to the sonar station for a listen. I had just finished my hydrophone sweep and went back to the map to bump up the time compression to 64. No sooner had I bumped it up then the "shallow water" warning came on and I went back to normal time. In normal time, I cruised over the "shallow water" warning for about a minute before it went away. I wish I had thought to do some pinging to check the ocean floor in this area but, sadly, I did not.

This happened as I was crossing the Bonin Islands. I was at about latitude 31 50 N and was almost directly between an island to my north and an island to my south. Maybe there are some sort of land masses sticking up in between the islands in this chain. I got to thinking that if I went through there at 200 feet and was using a higher time compression then I might have hit that land mass before the sim could even click down to low compression to warn me of shallow water. Maybe this could explain the sudden death syndrome, or at least some of the instances. The "shallow water" warning really did not last that long, almost like a spire was sticking up from the ocean floor.

At any rate, beware of that underwater land mass at about 31 50 N in the Bonin Island chain. It could get you.