View Single Post
Old 09-16-15, 09:53 AM   #360
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

I just can't believe the math in the OEG link http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/rep/ASW-51/ASW-13.html of hunting techniques percentages from the air. Now I gotta worry about a 'reconnect' on my 'gambit course'. Reading Black May and seeing the Movie: A Beautiful Mind are required forers. Really, once the science jocks discovered transit time across the Biscay Bay and U-Boat battery-endurance limits, the jig was up. the Triton version enigma of the Kreigsmarine and Dönitz's adding fourth rotor-wheel didn't give the Allies all that much edge in real time. I'm taking some aspirin and getting out my old trig tables:
Quote:
The "entrapment triangle" is drawn tangent to the sonar detection circle with limiting escape lines drawn at angle = sin-1 sub speed/ship speed. In this way it is analogous to the submerged approach zone except that the submarine is trying to get out rather than in. As can be seen from Figure 1 searching in line abreast makes such evasion impossible except from positions near the ends of the line. Some theoretical considerations concerning search in line abreast arc given in Chapter 6, Volume 2B.
There are also many practical reasons for searching in line abreast. The ships are close enough for convenient communications and know the positions of their fellow ships at all times. Similarly the ships' are readily recognizable by aircraft or other forces in the area, even at night. In addition ships are in a position to coordinate during attack once a contact is made.
MEIN GOTT!! I thought Einstein was working on the bomb! They're hunting me with math; never mind what they'll actually kill me with!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote