View Single Post
Old 02-14-14, 01:16 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Also, does anyone know exactly what the stats are for the S-18 and S-42 classes are? The values used in RFB and what I found in Wikipedia and Valor at Sea are very different, and I'm not sure what to use.

S-18
displacement 800/1062 tons
draft 15.1 ft.

RFB
displacement 944/1325 tons
draft 17.25 ft.
----------
On a less happy note, I am vexed by the issue of submerged range (i.e. battery capacity), and recharging. The RFB file values indicate a range of 100 mi. @ 5 kts., but the boat won't go much beyond 40!
Putting in larger numbers does no good. I can decrease the range, but have no way to increase it. This aspect of the game seems to be broken, but maybe someone has some secret knowledge about this.
I've played around with different things to try to beat this problem, but have only gotten very odd and undesirable results.
For example, I tried setting the range to 30 mi. @ 30 kts. to trick the game into allowing a greater range. Using 50% of the battery allowed ~ 22 mi., slightly better than with the 30 mi. @ 5 kts. (17 mi.), but when I tried recharging the battery, I found I had to recharge it for 4 days to get a 9% increase! At this rate, it would be better to leave the batteries in port, and become a surface raider.
You were/are at kickinbak right? Ducimus had a divine revelation - not a revolution - he liked to start those .... lol - just kidding... a divine inspiration and thought about battery life and fuel in a different light. The end result was to give a Propulsion expert special abilities in addition to changing the values in the sims.

Using tweaked sim settings I can sail submerged for over 98 nm @ 3 knots and run out of battery a little before the CO2 builds up to toxic levels a few hours later - around 48+/- hours.
I can also sail at the much used in real life, 'two-engine speed' - 15 knots - and have no problem getting 10,000 - 12,000 nm which is what they did in real life - I don't care what Wikipedia says. The 'silent service' is very protective of its true potential during WW II to this day - more so now I think.

I followed many patrol reports and they had to have this ability to arrive at specific locations in time frames given.

The biggest problem with the sim tweak is if the player sails at 10 kts, they can travel too far - it would be a cheat.

On the draft issue, my understanding is RFB felt the boat sat too high in the water. What is your understanding of their thinking?
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote