View Single Post
Old 04-21-18, 07:52 AM   #12
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead
Tempting me to load up again and hit the seas. I assume you're reworking the env, one thing I hated was the inability to do a night surface attack and get close enuf to turn around and escape, so I overhauled mostly just the night env files mainly making nights much darker and used the light settings in env to adjust the AI and never had to to touch TMO's config, just much more realistic with light settings and letting the moon brighten things up as it got higher in the sky. If you haven't, another thing easy and I think realistic is to cut the lights off on merchants and capital ships. If really does make it easy to target them and get quick stad readings. I think I also adjusted angle of lights so they didn't reach out quite as far. I do think I adjusted the config file for angle of the sub to the enemy down just a touch too. I could basically on the right nights get within 1500 yards and shoot , turn around and leave slowly until I had angle, just have to watch speed, but always some risk you might get pegged if you didn't plan your attack in and out carefully
In a short answer....yes, this is what I'm doing.

Presently Fotrs Ultimate v0.63 has its own "environmental" modifications, and will be changing further in future updates. I don't have my images readily available of the different views that I used to have (thanks to Photobucket), but to see the difference between TMO, RFB, or Stock compared to Ultimate just fire up the default first mission of the game (Porpoise sub, Pearl Harbor base, mission start Dec. 8, 1941, "at sea" start position). Go to the Bridge and look back over your right shoulder towards the Island of Oahu. In Ultimate, the island is seen fairly clearly......at the same 5 mile distance, the other mods will only show a "reflection" of the island in the water?!?

The night capabilities are exactly what I'm working on, as well as day, using the Ultimate environmental world as its guide to sensor capabilities. You can't just set the AI Visual MaximumRange to a certain figure, and not have it relate to the actual rendered world around you?! I'm finding this has been the case with many attempts at sensor adjustments......picking a figure, and expecting it to work in the rendered environment.......it won't work as such.

I can tell you this from my work, there are hard coded aspects in the stock game that are not correctable, and will continue to be a factor against common sense! One is the expected AI Visual sensor performance of a subs profile will be smaller when it is "head on" compared to an "a beam" profile. It's the exact opposite!! Our developers have "switched" this expected result, and it's making the visual performance (either night of day) hard to adjust without compromising in other ways. I've seen this time and time again in my tests, and I'm disappointed to know the visual detection works like it does. I've not gotten beyond the AI Visual sensor yet......I hope the Sonar/Radar capabilities are not like this. Only complete testing will reveal if they too are compromised. However, the basic expectation of providing a low profile visual silhouette to an enemy is going to lower your chances of detection is unattainable. A fact only testing with controlled parameters have proven.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote