View Single Post
Old 04-27-17, 12:14 PM   #273
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 0

I'm still playing...in both Pacific and Atlantic Theaters. Two separate installations using Multi SH4, one for TMO and one for OpMonsun.

I just can't get into SH5 and all the work it takes to un-bug it and get Wolves of Steel installed and working...maybe I'll try again some day.

Plus, I had a total failure of both of my SH3 installations about a month ago and can't get things fixed and running again. Long story...power outage in the middle of a LSH3 2015 patrol...restarted the game after power was restored and SH3 Commander says it can't start because another SH3 is running...what?!?!? So, tried to start GWX, from a separate SH3 CDR, and got the same result. Something fishy going on here.

After multiple attempts, uninstalled everything related to SH3, cleaned the register (using two separate registry cleaner tools), cleaned the "free space" (also two different tools) and defragged the HDD (another two different tools). Shut down the computer, restarted, reinstalled SH3, started it directly w/o any MODs...all OK. But, to be safe, deleted the new SH3 folder in the Documents folder and shut down/restarted the computer.

Then made two copies, installed LSH3 in one and GWX in the other and reinstalled separate SH3 CDR for GWX. Tried to start LSH3...SH3 CDR can't start because "another SH3.exe is running". WTF? Can't be true!!...but I give up after one more unsuccessful attempt to completely uninstall and reinstall, etc. etc.

Anyway, happy to have SH4 and both packages for a USN Pacific campaign and a U-Boat Battle of the Atlantic campaign. Lots of good MODs for both and have been doing some of my own tweaks and fixes. May not have the better graphics and eye candy of SH5 or the dynamic campaigns and "real world" enhancements of the SH3 mega-MODs. But it's good enough to be entertaining and always fun on a rainy day or a sleepless night.

To be sure though, the best part, for any/all of the Silent Hunter series, is the Subsim community itself. By far the best group of people on the internet.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote