View Single Post
Old 07-16-17, 05:28 PM   #70
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
the 3 inch-50 was one of the most numerous pieces of equipment in the USN inventory and used especially on anti-submarine warfare vessels such as the DEs. So, yes, it's kind of funny that Ubisolft did no model of it
Exactly my point: when I discovered that the two New York class battleships
had both guns in their late and mid-late war configuration, I thought I could rip them from SH5, but I was horrified to discover that Ubisoft guys fitted those ships with a fantasy armament

Quote:
Those models are good enough for SH3 purposes but it is pretty clear they are based on cyclinders with far more than the 12 edges that give nicely smooth models in SH3.
Twice the needed number of edges to be more precise: 24

Quote:
Missing polygons, faces facing opposite directions and the stupid number of faces, these are the annoying features of meshes converted Sketch Up meshes. I think fine tuning such models needs more time than re-building them from scratch. But if you feel for starting the preocess I won't stop you
Well, I see them more as a 3D blueprint than as a model ready to be fed in s3D. I think more than 3/4 of the time I spend for modelling complex objects, is used for figuring out shapes and proportions from photographs and flat drawing (and for looking for them), than for actually modelling. Sometimes I get stuck, and I can only proceed to the next step when I find a photograph from the 'right' angle, or when I have a mental illumination lol. So, for me, a good 3D template is always a good thing

Quote:
I still have little time to dedicate to 3D stuff but I lost interest in the Treasury class cutters (those need the two guns) and went back to the Dido. Some progress ...
Have you seen the SH5 model of it? How does it compare to the real Didos?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote