View Single Post
Old 08-19-08, 04:11 PM   #63
SteveG75
Swabbie

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Nice work, I think you have just convinced me to buy SH4 (especially since I can't get SH3 to run on my new Vista 64 bit machine).

Your work is is beyond anything I could do and I am in awe. Don't take the inof below below as criticism, just as more info available on the T-Class.

Anyway, I was doing some research and found out that the Class T Group 2 had the amidships tubes firing to the rear. The Group 1 vessels had the 10 foward firing tubes (6 reloadable). During the war, most were refitted with the single aft tube at the stern. The Group 2 ships had the amidships tubes moved aft and pointed astern. Some of the group 1 vessels also had that mod done as well.

Here are some pics:

HMS TORBAY secured to a buoy in Plymouth Sound fitted with an external stern tube, 20mm Oerliken and radar (group1 with forward firing amidships tubes).

HMS TURBULENT on the outboard side, moored up to another T-Class. TURBULENT has the later tube configuration but the inboard vessel has the stern tube added, but the earlier amidships tubes.

Better pic of the aftfiring tubes:

Some good info here on the T-Class: http://home.cogeco.ca/~gchalcraft/sm/TClass.html but I got most of my info from the book Submarines of World War II published by the Naval Institue Press (1977).

One good point mentioned is that many boats of the second group were modified for employment in the Far East, by transforming several ballast tanks into fuel tanks, thereby increasing fuel load from 132 to 230 tons, and surface range from 8,000 to 11,000 miles at 10 knots. This increase in range, essential in a theatre where it took a week or more to get from base to operating area, together with increased stores capacity, enabled long patrols to be carried out: the record was achieved by Tantalus with 56 days, 40 of which were in the patrol area. Guess that would mean some kind of data file mod.

Also, I have read that the two Dutch boats were ex-HMS Talent and ex-HMS Tarn, both of the later design.

Like I said, this is not meant as criticism, just passing on more info.
SteveG75 is offline   Reply With Quote