View Single Post
Old 07-31-08, 02:19 PM   #1641
Suicide Charlie
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think you guys are applying rules used for landing jet aircraft too much here.

Landing a piston engined prop job is a lot different. There's a reason why the British invention of an angled deck caught on and is now a standard in the jet age.

Jet aircraft are coming aboard carriers at a much higher speed than what we're flying did. They require around 200ft of space to roll out after they've caught a wire. Piston engined aircraft don't need nearly that amount of room.

Because of that difference in power and speed angled decks were necessary. Everything was moving faster and the margin of error became bigger. It is much easier to miss all of the wires and a jet aircraft is not going to stop by itself. It is also possible to power up in a split second and fly off the carrier again. You're not going to do that on a straight deck carrier with a piston engine and if you do then you were approaching way too fast in the first place and missed the glide path.

For me turning off my engine right before or as I touch down on deck has always been part of my glide path. Sometimes I'll do it when I'm still in the air a bit and come aboard in a full glide. It's just all about maintaining that glide path under minimal power to make a clean arrest.

Stealth Hunter's diagram to me actually looks text book.