View Single Post
Old 06-25-08, 11:23 PM   #125
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3
First look & review

Did a fresh install of driect drive SH3 1.4, with a clean slate meaning uninstalled commander first, deleted all leftover files and such.
The d3d9.dll & d3d9.cfg file had to be deleted, what their purpose is I dunno but after that & the hot patch & the messages fix all went well.

I am glad to see the repacking part isn't nessesary anymore as was in previous versions.
Fired up the game on it's own; and without letting the cat out of the bag but - WOW on the intro movie
Very nice Hans.
Loading time on my machine was about 30% longer compared to GWX.
2.8 dual core 4 gigs dual channel gskill.
The dummy ships are a nice alternate for us guys not wanting to roll through the academy anymore.
Harbour traffic - heavy, but managable for panning and eye candy. Nice binocular screen btw.
The user gui
New 6-Dials
I have some screens from Keil, to post links later, need some sleep first.
The shipping - nicely done and detailed, like what I've seen so far.
Speaking of details - the explosion affects from torpedo hits
New details on the crew, my watch officer needs a shave
Another way cool thing about the water, not just the texture, but you'll have to dive to check it out

Speaking of the crew, ran into a problem with using SH3 Commander.
I have Commander 3.0, installed it, things seemed ok at first.
But after I started the game and went into the boat options-screen before a patrol, I could not select another boat. In fact no others were listed. Then when I tried to load the patrol it said "to many officers go to barracks". Ok so I tied to make another career, and noticed the amount of officers & crew were back to defaults and Not what Wac 30 changed them to. Then when I tried to create a new career with commander it would only show a type II and the other boxes/options were blank or empty.
And so I would think that some files are needed for Commander to be compatable with this new version?
To check that I uninstalled wac with jsgme and completely deleted commander. placed a fresh copy of WAC 3.0 in jsgme and reinstalled withoiut Commander.
Then it was fine, I mean what the Mod seemed to install, options back in place, as many careers as you want, but from the game interface, not starting from Commander. So, I would think I installed it correctly, but maybe Commander at least v3 needs to know what the deal (files) is. If someone could double check that.
I mean I will have withdrawls without SH3Commander.