View Single Post
Old 05-16-08, 10:42 PM   #640
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3
Default 2.2.0 uploading... slowly!

I'm releasing another update... 2.2.0! The minor version increase is because this one has a quite big change: I've removed all object/particle reflections. I just think they look pretty naff, not least of all because half of them are broken anyway... but even those that aren't broken just don't look right to me.

I had this idea after going to Museum and noticing there were no object reflections there. By that I mean you can see the environment reflections e.g. sky/cloud/sun, but no ship reflection. IMO this looks waaaay better, and much more like RL, so I set about making this change to OLCE2. Some might not like the sound of it, but I say: try it before you judge.

Now the bad news... I was unable to find a global switch for turning these reflections off, so I had to turn each one off individually. A hex search and replace tool made quick work of it, but it means that just about every .dat file in GWX 2.1 has been modified in OLCE2. This means OLCU is now a 260Mb download and, worse, it will probably report JSGME conflicts with just about any other mod you try to install. I leave it to you to decide what, if anything, you want to do about that. To the computer-literate users of OLCU, I say: the only thing I've changed in all these extra .dat files is a switch that turns off reflections. If you want to use a mod which conflicts on, say, Turm2A_1_hd.dat, you can enable that mod over OLCU (ignoring the JSGME warning) and the only "bad" thing that will happen is you'll still get the reflections on all objects in that .dat file.

I hope that made sense.

I'm dreading the feedback on this one.

Someone be nice and say they like it after it's released. I do!

OLC