View Single Post
Old 04-23-08, 12:32 AM   #10
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

The issue isn't just with the ballst tank fill rates. First, the displacement values are WAY off. The submerged value was especially too small creating a small differential between the surfaced and submerged displacement valuesletting you fill the tanks too quickly.

The lower and closer the displacement values get, the harder it is to slow a boat's dive time down even with a ridiculously low fill rate (gave me no end of grief on the s-boats)

Displacement values I'm using after checking numerous sources are a blend of several different sets of numbers:
Surfaced- 1616
Submerged-1860

Also the file has an entry in both mass and surfaced displacement. The mass value needs to be set to 0

Second, this boat dives at a much steeper angle than any other boat in the game which is part of the problem. The planes have too much bite because of the drag settings, and the prop factor is set way too high for the rear dive planes.

Already have this adjusted for RFB so it takes ~45 sec for the last part to go underwater on a normal dive. Dive angle is shallow now for normal dive. Time to dive is at a standard bell from hearing the report "Dive planes set for normal dive". Crash dive is about 27 sec. I can easily extend it farther ad get a crash dive in the 35+ sec range if that's the real life number.

I'm thinking about revampig the method for timing of the dive rate. Although in real life there is a delay from the command until all BT vents are open, I think the game is different. Zooming way in, the boat looks like it starts to submerge within 1-2 seconds after giving the command.

The original way I was timing everything was from the dive alarm finishing, but trying to stretch a dive time to include that first 5-7 seconds is really causing headaches with the S-boats and the IXD2. Be nice if there were some place to enter a delay before the command takes effect.

Still doing some work on this to get all the boats for RFB roughed in. Then I'll post it as a 1.5 update to the draft and dive rate mod.

I've started looking for either a dive plane angle or surface area entry for more control. Let you know what I find. If you can find an entry Jace11, that'd be helpful.

Can post the file for both of you if you want to see the changes. Can you let me know wht the normal / crash dive rates should be? I guess I don't have any decent numbers for the IXD2 because I had the normal dive at 45 sec and crash dive at less than 30.

Should've hollered Duci, I found these problems 10 days ago and would have let you know what I found.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10

Last edited by swdw; 04-23-08 at 01:12 AM.
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote