Old 04-21-08, 07:28 AM   #182
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
I'm very happy with the wave textures. My only thoughts so far are:

1. I wish the UZO yellow lines were a little bit easier to use but then I always have my WO to give me range if necessary.

How do you mean? What would make them easier?

2. I wish the waves could be bigger....i've been through Drakes Passage in the Southern Atlantic and i've seen big waves, nothing in SH3 or 4 comes near it yet. The boat tends to cut through the waves rather than riding them, if it rode them better then bigger waves would be great.

I wish lots of things about the waves. They are fairly editable but I left them exactly as they are in GWX because they affect many gameplay elements, such as:
- your fuel economy (which the GWX team have carefully balanced in 2.1)
- ship sinking dynamics (if I change the waves, it might make ships harder or easier to sink, and - much worse - in some cases it can make ships sink without you even shooting at them)

[As an aside, this is one of the reasons why I don't use EDE: those secondary explosions cause more damage to the ships, making them all much too easy to sink, IMO]

Waves could, and probably should, be edited, but the amount of testing required to make sure the game balance isn't upset would be rediculous, and there are other problems, too (see my posts in the "Thomsen's Waves" thread). So I'm staying away from this one.

3. The clouds look really nice

4. With the sun behind me at dawn the pink tinge on the clouds looks great but the sky ahead of me should be darker.

I do appreciate the feedback and I'm not disagreeing with you, but on this one I have to say: that's as good as I can get it. It took me an age to get it the way it is now; most of the dev time for OLCE2 was spent trying to get partial cloud right, it's by far the most difficult type of weather in SH3, mostly because of annoying engine limitations. So I won't be changing it now.

5. The above are not criticism....just thoughts, nothing more. Its a great mod as i'm sure you know already
Great feedback, thanks. Questions/answers above in green.