View Single Post
Old 03-31-08, 10:23 AM   #17
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwarev7
Wait a minute.....brain overload....rebooting....
Be sure to reboot to SAFE mode.

Quote:
So, the farther out I am from the ships course, the farther out the target is going to be from the intersection at the same angle? So no matter what distance you are at, the firing angle(say a bearing of 10 degrees) will allways ensure that you and the target are at the correct distance?
Exactly!

Quote:
If so, why do I need to use a 20 degree bearing if I'm using a slower torpedo?
Think of it this way. A slower torpedo will take longer to reach the intercept point (the target's track), so the target will travel further during that time. Therefore, you need to lead the target more.

And don't get hung up on the 10 or 20 degrees given in the example. You can calculate (or use tables like the real kaleuns did) the exact lead angle with the equation...

Lead Angle = Arctan (target speed/torpedo speed)

So if the target is making 12 knots, and you wish to fire a 30 knot T-III electric, then your lead angle is...

Lead Angle = Arctan (12/30) = 21.8 degrees

And as long as you're within 5000 metres of the target track, you should get a hit!

Quote:
I don't know why this stuff confuses me. I aced trig in highschool, but maybe because it was so long ago, and I've never had a real world use for it till now....
I keep telling my kids that this stuff will come in handy. Now I can prove it!
klh is offline   Reply With Quote