View Single Post
Old 03-08-08, 08:39 PM   #686
Templar_4450th
Watch

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Been a long-time lurker here, recently getting back into SHIII after a bit of time in the pacific. I've got to say, Mikhayl, this project is more exciting than any other i've seen for SHIII and IV. I've been hoping that captainable Torpedo and Motor Gun Boats would be a reality at some point, I'm very happy to see this coming to fruition!

I also have a few suggestions for future builds:

1: Torpedo launch speed - I don't know how the Schnellboot compares to the elco in launch time, but it seems to me that it takes a bit too long for the torpedo to launch from the open tube and splash down into the water. Given the fact that it is being launched via compressed air, that thing should be out of the tube and into the water in the blink of an eye. <EDIT> I didn't see the new video before posting, launch time looks much better now, still a bit too slow in my opinion, but much improved.

2: The SHIII AI limitations of FLAK Vs. Surface targets - I know that getting your crew to fire the 3.7cm or 2cm cannons at ground targets is pretty much an exercise in futility due to the game engine...but why not make one of the three FLAK guns a "deck gun" according to the game? The bow 2cm cannon, (forgive me if I'm wrong) was quite difficult to use against aircraft due to the mounting system used...so why not make the bow 2cm cannon a "deck gun" and arm it with HE rounds? This would still give the Schnellboot the dual 2cm amidships, and the aft 3.7cm cannon for anti-air duty, but would also give the AI the capability to sink small coastal vessels or other Torpedo boats with the foreward 2cm. I know giving the forward 2cm cannon HE rounds and making it fireable against only surface ships is unrealistic, but so is making a sim where your crew only fires FLAK guns at aerial targets

3: RADAR for late model Schnellboots - I have no idea how common this configuration was, but it would be pretty cool to have a little extra warning:
http://www.prinzeugen.com/SchnellSignals.htm

Thanks for hearing me out, I tend to get a bit long winded in my posting if it's something exciting
Templar_4450th is offline   Reply With Quote