View Single Post
Old 02-04-08, 11:38 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
The potential operating area for any submarine is surprisingly large, though.
The potential operating area isn't what's constraining the design concept; it's the practical operating area of a platform that the sim has instantiated that limits us. Put simply, it doesn't do a Kilo captain any good if he/she has 20 objectives scattered across the region to choose from but only has the speed and time to reach one of them. You might as well just save yourself the time and make a conventional scenario.

EDIT: On the other hand, with respect to a platform that has greater mobility than the Kilo that has to defend several potential objectives, the situation described above offers a significant level of unpredictability. The defender won't know where the Kilo spawned, so for all he/she knows, all objectives are at risk. (Furia was toying with this idea a bit in his "Total War" scenario, to the degree that each merchie can count as an "objective".)

Quote:
That's fair, but suppose you just concentrated kilos in the North Arabian Sea and Gulf of Oman...... The meat-and-potatoes mission for kilos is sinking surface vessels.
Not this time. Meat and potatoes is what I'm trying to get away from. I think we've all had too much of it. It's time to do something different, and I think different is going to happen in the littorals.

I haven't firmly decided on any specific region of the Gulf to focus on. The deciding criteria is going to be the number of discretionary objectives I can fit in the area. Right now the leading candidate is the border region because I get to play up issues effecting the insurgency. I definitely like Hormuz too, and I think a lot of the encounters would work better around there than they would in the border region. There is also the possibility that playable platforms may be operating in more than one area of the gulf during the scenario. I must admit, I'm hesitant to go there because it presents a greater risk of the platforms in one area running out of tasking while the platforms in another area still have a long way to go. I can think of at least one person around here who disagrees, :p but I think it's a terrible thing to ask a player to sit around for hours staring at a blank display. So I have to walk a fine line between spreading out and overcrowding. Nothing's ruled out at this point though. This is idea time. Later will begin the painful process of determining what ideas aren't going to work for whatever reason and going from the ambitious to the practical....

Last edited by Molon Labe; 02-05-08 at 12:27 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote