View Single Post
Old 02-04-08, 09:31 PM   #8
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibges
The major hindrance to exporting the M-1 is the engine. Just too difficult to maintain from a pmcs point of view.

The US Army is studying a plan to put English V-12 in the M-1 to improve exports.
Many advantages to a turbine, but yes, harder to maintain. Its main advantages is light weight, major higher horsepower, higher top speeds, and can run on pretty much anything flammable.

Its disadvatages include longer spool up time - like 5 to 10 seconds before the tank can even move (seen it done myself with an M1A1) where a diesel can just turn on and go. I buttoned down alone in an M1 once. You definetly wear that tank. It is also a lot smaller and lower profile than it looks in pictures - most people can see above the top of it standing right next to it. It defintely is lower to the ground and lower profile than a Leo.

The Leo 2 is a great tank. Its simple costs less and works. It is still not up to par with an M1 however in many respects. Its a different design philosophy - An M1 is a brute force, expensive, fast moving machine. The Leo 2 is probably a better balance between economy and capability. I guess Canadians would be better served with the Leo 2 given the current situation.

-S