View Single Post
Old 01-30-08, 10:34 PM   #14
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
If you want the job getting done well - do it yourself.
I can't stress this enough.

Well that is a nice review Skybird and correlates with my own intuitive feeling as I was the first time on their site, following a link from here. This is definately on my to by list.

Interestingly, I see here quite some paralels to my own development effort. I even came up with the same ghost technique idea to teach the AI maneuvering tasks with little effort. The recent upgrade als started to create that feeling that you are moving in a fluid medium on a floating and drifting platform. This feeling is very believable and thrilling. I think I haven't experienced it before in the sims I have seen so far.

The Silent Hunter ship dynamics and ship controls appear like a bad joke to me now. It doesn't even reach the level of my very first prototype. It's unbelievable how much this aspect is neglected even by the big productions but it adds so much to the immersion and experience.

As the 2% vs. 98% I can maybe say something about it since I do the same thing in my own sim. Well, calibrating and finetuning the behavior of a vehicle can be incredebly time consuming and daunting. It's incredebly testing heavy. I remember after the last upgrade having to recalibrate the physics completely. Boy that was a pain in the ass. And I would consider my physics system still as rather simple. But before you can get the numbers right you need to figure out how exactly a vehicle behaves, what can take overall even more time. I don't see the devs do anything wrong here. 10 bucks is a low prise actually. Subtract the costs and taxes from it and not much will be left of it.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote