View Single Post
Old 12-02-07, 06:05 PM   #2213
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov
I guess those three ships can be sunk by air bombardment and gunfire but not by torpedoes as I have tried.
Anyway type 36A destroyer definitely isn't sinkable that way. I hit her twice with five torpedoes each time with no damage except visual post-explosion marks on her hull.
As for both barges, they received one torpedo hit each and withstood it.
Hi!

I've been conducting some experiments with the German Type 36A destroyer, and it definitely seems, ah, "unusually resilient" to torpedo attacks in some cases. Be that as it seems, I'm not sure it makes much difference in Silent Hunter III (or GWX V2.0) since the only folks with working torpedoes are German U-boats, so the net result is that you are saved a boatload of renown point penalties for fratricidal attacks.

The experiments also showed the Type 36A is certainly sinkable by gunfire, bombs, and rockets, which the Allies have in abundance, so at least for now I would categorize this as a "feature" rather than a "bug." Now, if and when the Allies get torpedoes I suspect the last thing you will be worrying about will be torpedoing German destroyers, since having Allied torpedoes would enable things like the "Fido" antisubmarine torpedo...

I've also noticed the carcass of a sunken Type 36A destroyer sits on the surface in two pieces. That to me is also a "feature" since 1) the ship still counts as being destroyed and 2) historically, a lot of ship carcasses stuck around on the surface for a while. It is definitely different but I'm not sure it is wrong.

Just my $0.02!

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote