View Single Post
Old 10-17-07, 04:39 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Another point about FS9 that Chock only mentioned on the surface is - money. with the release of FSX, many people were quick to buy it before looking (means I know some who chnaged back to FS9), or stay with FSX, and thus wanting to get rid of their old FS9 and all addons that were unlikely to get compatability patches, but would see complete new developements for FSX. That way you can save a LOT of money when buiynd it second hand. I did like that, and for all the planes and airport sceneries as well as some basic stuff I estimated to have payed around 50-60% less, than if buying it new.

also take into account that even if you have a system that runs FSX out of the box with satisfying frames - if you use scenery addons and complex aircraft, all these things pick away at your frames, some more, some less. And that way you easily could touch the critical frame range again - and faster than you may have imagined.

Microsoft delivers FS as a game, but the fantastic thing about it is that it is modular from A to Z: everything can be changed, replaced, supplemented. From the functions and siplaying of weather and traffic, over flight physics files, cockpit envrionemnts and aircraft models, to environmental appearance. That way you can turn a game into a pretty good simulator.

There are some classic addons on aircraft and non-aircraft
stuff, that also currently get transported from FS9 to FSX for the most - if you are interested, tell us where your interests lay, and we likely have some answers and recommendations.

Beside Flight 1, as Chock mentioned, Aerosoft is the leading developer and publisher of addons, if you visit there site, you can see plenty of screenshots for certain products, sometimes even full sized videos, that may give you an impression:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/iboshop.cgi?show270