View Single Post
Old 08-31-07, 12:02 AM   #41
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

I took a slightly different approach to the plotting when I was lookin at this stuff a little while ago...

I was playin around with trying to develop an optimum spread angle for a 3 fish salvo. Looking for the spread that would give me the best chance for at least 1 hit in the 1000m to 1500m range. I settled in on 2°.

Few observations came out of it...

1) I realized the AoB had more of a margin for error than speed. So I sorta adopted the position of "Speed is the Key".

2) The error margin for AoB was not symmetrical. I had more room to be wrong in overestimating rather than underestimating the AoB. Which plays right into our natural tendency anyway, so that was nice... (see M1)

3) I could be off by 1 knot and still score a hit if my AoB estimate is good (see M2)

4) ...and then I noticed I could expand the margin for error on AoB by purposefully underestimating the target speed. That sorta caught me off guard. I tell the TDC the target is moving 7kts when I know it's 8kts and I pick up an extra 20° of fluff in the AoB estimate... and might still score a hit, go figure. (see M3)

I have to keep in mind though that as the AoB error increases the cross section of the ship decreases and it becomes an odd angle so I'd need pistols set for mag-det. We like to hope we're not off that much in our estimates right?