View Single Post
Old 08-19-07, 06:48 AM   #3
AntEater
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

American led team?
No sir, not that I am aware of.
I even knew one of the designers (Grandfather of a classmate) and he was definitely not american. He worked for the soviets after WW2.
Surely the plane used many american patents like the landing gear, which was strongly influenced by Curtiss.

Regarding the Ju 88 as a fighter, a similar situation did happen over Malta in late 1941, when a Ju 88C nightfighter shot down a Hurricane in daytime, but that was an accident. The Hurricane had made a firing pass and ended up in front of the Ju 88s nose guns.
The 88 however was used as a fighter where no single engined fighters were in sight: at night and over water.
First Ju 88 fighter combat was actually over Norway, when preproduction Ju 88Cs were used with Zerstörerkette KG 30.
I think the ju 88 nightfighter is well known, and NJG2 flew very successful intruder missions over Britain until transfered to the med.
There, the fighter Ju 88s were mostly not used for night fighting, but rather for over water missions to protect convoys and transport aircraft.
Later in 1942, a special long range fighter unit, V./KG 40 was formed to protect U-Boats in the Biscay from british ASW planes.
The Ju 88 was a stable long range aircraft and good for shooting down larger planes, but was at a disadvantage against the later versions of the Beaufighter and had no chance against the Mosquito.
On the east front, fighter Ju 88s were mostly used as strafers and train busters, often individually modified like the strafer B-25s in the pacific.

PS. CFS3 sucks
no matter what mods you install, the basic programm is so bad not even the most talented modders can save it.
Il-2 is much better, even if it only has the bomber version of the Ju 88