View Single Post
Old 06-23-07, 11:00 AM   #51
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Ok, I'm sure feeling like a real noob about now and it's getting frustrating. I've been attempting (key word ) to play at 100% realism.......oops.....97%... I want to see some eye candy. Anyway, I've read pretty much everything in here about using the TDC and setting up attacks.

1) ID Ship, ok, NP.
2) Turn on position keeper. (some say now, some say later).
3) Get target range. NP, I can use the stadimeter just fine.
4) Get AOB. Now I'm not really into all the formulas and methods I've read about in here so I simply give it my best eyeball call and turn the little dial until its about right. I figure that will get better with time.
5) Get speed estimate. Tried a few different methods here and still haven't really settled on one I'm comfortable with, but even that I figure will come with some time.

I get into a pretty good setup, I'm ahead of a two ship convoy, that is traveling slow. Prior to gaining visual on the convoy I use radar tracking for a while and I estimate speed at about 7-8 knots, which is half their top speed. I send each and every observation into the TDC. I check and recheck my fish settings (high speed, contact). The first fish will head off into a reasonable direction (meaning toward the intended target), maybe ahead, maybe slightly behind, however subsequent fish I fire seem to go off in directions that have nothing to do with what I've input into the TDC. I'm running version 1.2 with the latest version of RFB. I'm beginning to think I've got a saboteur working the TDC. Anyone got any ideas besides going back to Dangerous Waters?

P.S. Does using the "L" key for locking the periscope view have anything to do with this?

P.S.S. Or how about leaving on the position keeper?

When you send your Range and Bearing updates to the TDC, if you don't have the periscope locked, the bearing transmitted will be exactly where the crosshairs of your scope are trained when you hit send. Therefore, if the ship moves a bit between the time you train your scope and the time you do the range/bearing thing and the time you hit send, it is where your crosshairs are when you hit send that will be transmitted to the gyros. In short.... use the "L" key at all times.

Always keep the PK on, or your solutions will not update and you will not be able to track how good your solution is. Keeping it on and comparing the gyro angle on the TDC to the actual bearing through your scope will tell you if you have a good solution or not.

It sound like you are almost there. Best advise is to use a spread of 3 torps (like in real life) with 5 degrees to the left, center and 5 degrees to the right. Experiment with the values (it will change depending on how far you are from your target) and you will start getting hits.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote