Old 05-20-07, 11:24 AM   #33
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Great memories!

I kept my first laptop computer purposedly to run the older games. It is a Celeron 366 (Pentium III era) with 64MB RAM and a 4MB SVGA video card (No 3D capabilities ). OS is Windows 98SE. One of the best things it has is the small size, only a 12,5 inch screen, but it has a vga output so I can connect it to any monitor.

Installed on it and running flawlessly are:

-Command Aces of the Deep
-Silent Hunter 1 CE
-Great Naval Battles IV and V
-Panzer General II
-Pacific General

I heartly recommend anyone this way of keeping old classics alive: An old laptop is the best space-saver and since you don't need to update the hardware, you can pick the one that just meets your requirements. Should be lots out there to buy second hand for incredibly low prices
Very good idea, laptops can be stowed making them very portable
I guess I have been ingrained with the concept that laptops do not make good gaming machines, but that has changed, especially for running retro subsims.

Ultimately, my secret project will end up like this. Right now I am concentrating on the game installation and config, but when I run out of old subsims to add and have them all running, I'll start Phase Two. I can't think of a better piece of furniture than a Subsim arcade machine standing in the corner of my office

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote