View Single Post
Old 01-30-07, 03:10 AM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default [Released] SH3Cmdr Markings Add-on

Helping SSB with his multiple roundels mod (refer http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=104707 ) inspired me to add a bit more variance into the game myself, at least for SH3Cmdr users.

What I have done is create a markings add-on for SH3Cmdr which changes the markings of certain countries at appropriate times. As I am sure you all know, not all countries maintained the same markings/roundels throughout WWII. Indeed, some countries changed markings numerous times. The reasons were varied; visibility (ie British), recognition (ie Australian Pacific), changing alliances (ie Romania), to mention a few.

This add-on will utilise SH3 Commander's Date feature to change country markings at the appropriate times throughout the course of the war. No more will you continually see the same markings!

You can see the markings and dates they apply at http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/markings/markings.htm (displayed images are compressed - in game images are higher quality). Only main variations have been included - to model every variation of some countrys' markings would be a very time consuming task (New Zealand for example had about 14 or more different variations throughout the six years!).

There will be some limitations though:
* This add-on will not overcome basic Silent Hunter III model limitations. Whereas in real life some markings were placed on the fuselage *and* wings, or fuselage *or* wings, or were different on each surface, in Silent Hunter III you will see the same marking on all six surfaces (upper wing x 2, lower wing x 2, fuselage x 2). This may be a bit distracting with some countries (like Britain), but unfortunately that is how the developers modelled the planes (maybe understandably as the aim is to avoid them!). Testing of effective ways around this limitation (ie one that requires no multiple plane clonings) continues.

* You will not see marking changes on any plane that has "hard-painted" markings.

But I think these are minor distractions considering the flexibility offered by the add-on without the need for multiple aircraft clones.

Anyway, I welcome feedback, corrections, etc before I release this to all. If you think it's a waste of space, I'm happy to hear that too...

Last edited by CCIP; 02-03-07 at 10:06 PM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote