View Single Post
Old 01-05-07, 03:28 PM   #25
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan
I think at this point in the thread people are talking past one another. Maybe I missed something but one of the reasons stated here against modding DW is "we didn't have time/money to make the game mod-able". Aside from the contractual/legal constraints w/ DoD and foreign gov'ts (which is debatable as well), I still don't understand why SCS is *going out of its way* to prohibit modding, that others have shown is doable in the past without requiring any software architecture changes (or any other output from SCS for that matter). I don't see the community asking SCS for modding tools/editors, although that's a good idea in and of itself; what I see is the community merely asking permission to mod things other than the database and doctrine files.
As far as the "we didn't meet our sales quota so we can't afford an expansion pack" excuse - I had a feeling this was going to be the case from day 1, and it's a shame that it worked out that way too.
Like I said, I must be missing something because even after this whole thread it still doesn't all add up - There's got to be something more here than meets the eye.
Actually I have to disagree on all points here. If SCS were going out of their way to prohibit modding they would not have worked with Ludger who made DWEdit and given him access to the database structure so he could write a tool that allows us to edit the database. They would not have released tools that allow one to export a model from 3DS MAX into J3D format, or agiven us teh tool to import that model into the 3d.grp file. Likewise they would not have let us have access to a decompress tool that decompresses all the .grp files.

Also I serisouly think you haven't looked at how SCU for SCXII works. It works by hacking teh .exe file and dll files so that unique subs could be played. IT did make acrhitectural changes to subcommand.exe file.

I personally am beginning to think people are getting a little ungrateful. Where did SCS say they were for definite going to release an expansion pack? You are acting as if SCS have gone back on a promise. Also as oneshot has said how many people here have mastered all the platforms? Go on who here can say they have and that a new platform would be a challenge? REally at the end of the day a new platform won't bring much new apart from a slightly different way of working the sensors. You are doing the same thing as in normal DW.

The tools to mod this and improve it are there, Luft is doing a good job trying to make realism better based on info we can get. I want to get the graphics sorted out so it looks better. We mod the game from within and improve what does need to be improved. Shouting at SCS and Jamie like this is counter productive.

If you are so unhappy about it why don't you write your own sim?