View Single Post
Old 04-07-24, 05:18 AM   #357
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The Steam Link app for Quest 3 has matured. When it was released, firts it did not even keep theloink reliably, and corruoted the flow of the game after 20-3ß seocnds. But now I have tested it with it srecent build, due to the Nordschleife in Assetto corsa Competzione beign released (many, many laps logged sincethen... : ) , and what should I say: woth my archaic gfx biard and olf system (almost 7 years) it ran the Schleife without a single crash.
However, due to the enormous demand and the high pixel load and the need to additonally cualcoate the wireless link, the sim runs absolutely playable, but not completely smooth as silk. I also had to reduce the cars on track to 16. But by the end of the day: it works, and suprisingly reliable, the limitations are due to my overaged hardware, its a fossile by now, but still does what I throw at it in work and jobload. (Even the gfx bioard is 6.5 years runnign now, I was used of seeing them smoking up every 3 years or so).

I tested it with other games as well, it works, and is the most comfortable way to play PC Steam games in the Quest. It takes Steam running on PC as it usually does in the background anyway, and downloading and running the Steam Link app on the Quest. You end up in the same Steam VR Home screen you get when attaching a PC-cable-linked headset like my G2 to the PC, but why would i want to do that anymore? The image in the Quest is so much better.

The only hickup is that after I finish playing a game this way, I am best advised to not end it inside the game optiosn, but to shut down Stema Link app comletel yand if need be, restart it. I oftn wofund that if leaving the game but retrnign to the Steam home end up in corrupted stability of the Stema App itself. Well, no big deal.

The same sort of app is offered for XBox abonements. I do not know that since I do not own an XBox, but if that works as good as the Steam app, then it must be fantastic for XBox players.