View Single Post
Old 02-25-24, 10:18 AM   #4308
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread, but kick back just the same and enjoy:

NAS Atsugi was the closest I got to Naval aviation outside of Subic Bay. I was homeported in Sasebo, about halfway between Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Go ahead and say it, get it out of your system- "TOMCATS!".

Getting back to Atsugi, I never got to visit the base. When we'd truck on up to Yokosuka, I found all the fun I wanted in Yokohama.
Iwakuni was the closest air base to Sasebo but we never had a reason to go there.

Anyway, there's some neat points to ponder in the video. The "rah rah" stuff at the beginning was more or less to remind the folks in the 'burbs outside of Yokohama that jets make noise. Something that was an issue with Atsugi during this time until they managed to shut down the base.

Also, for you flight simmers in the group, notice the Tomcat on short final at the half way point in the video. Those guys are crabbing like its going out of style. I have the old Iris F-14 in FS2004 and this is one of the things that always bugged me. With the wings fully extended and the boards hanging out- it flies like a kite in a strong cross wind or a leaf on a windy day.
If anything, it shows that the flight dynamics that Iris used are pretty close.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote