View Single Post
Old 01-29-24, 05:51 PM   #1729
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3227
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
This is a general observation for Onealex users who experience long loading times. This is not a critique, Onealex himself notes the issue of long loading times in his English language manual for his Mod.

Typically it took some 22-minutes to load Onealex version 1.53, which was a bit better than the 26-minutes to load the last edition of Fifi's Steel Coffins Mod. Both are spectacular Mods but the long loading times cause great inconvenience and so tend to limit their use in my world.

Tweaking the settings on my NVidia card did nothing and then on a whim I tried compressing the entire Onealex SH-III folder using the space-saving compression utility that ships with Win-7 (and presumably later versions of the OS).

Compressing the folder took about 40-minutes but now loading is accomplished in slightly under 16-minutes, a reduction of more than 25%. Moreover, everything seems to work as intended and I even resumed a saved career that had not been compressed.

So, if excessive loading times are keeping you from trying either of these awesome SH-III mods, try compressing the entire game folder, including all files and sub-folders and see if there is any improvement in the time spent waiting for that damn status bar to complete its damnably slow crawl to the right.

Good Hunting.

-C
Interesting...

Never try that "compression", never think it admits the compressed program could work....

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote