View Single Post
Old 08-24-23, 01:58 PM   #4138
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Today was yearly Summer's Relief Day.

Its the third summer in a row that my squirrels of the the first hour (three brothers born in winter/early spring 2020) with whom I began squirrel business in spring 2020, for absolutely unknown reasons disappeared in mid-July, and at some time near end of August one by one come back and report back for nutjob.

Its weired, really, i have no clue what they are doing in these 5-6 weeks and where they go, but they are not around, do not show up. Also, its only the three nutketeers from spring 2020 behaving like this, foreign squirrels and wanderers who just transit through, are not shy to come over my nuts supply.

Today's video control shows me that both Taro and Kira were visiting, and drank from the waterbowl in the tree, and got a nut or two. I havent seen them since mid-July. I am relieved, and thankful. Its strange to note that I formed a social bond to them, somehow. These two, probably brothers, are very dear and special to me, with them and a third guy named Sari, it started. Sari is a rare guest throughout the year anyway, and he wasnt around since Eastern. I hope he is not dead and will coem back. This year was the first time also that Kira and Taro accepted nuts from my hand. Very, very rare. Or one of them hangs head-down beside me in the tree when I fill the nut boxes, half a meter away, and letting me know his squirrel stories. They are cautious, but no longer in total alarm and stress mode when close to me. Different to grey squirreels, they stay alone, form no social relations most of the time , and do not live in families and groups, so yzu see why I take it so precvious that they tolerate me now. I never lured them - they decided it all by themseleves.

They are four years old now. Red European squirrels can, if taken good care of (food, medication), reach an age of 10, very rarely 11 and 12 years (American grey squirrels for example up to 28-30 - think of that next time you think you must shoot at them all for nothing). The European Reds in Germany to 75-80% do not make it to their first birthday. In the wild, not even every tenth animals gets 3 years old, not even one in a hundred reaches 5 years. You understand why I am so happy that Kira and Taro are still here, and came back today after weeks of absence. I will do my share of help to assist them over thwe inter: always fresh or unfrozen water, and more than enough nuts.

If only I knew what they are doing every summer. They are males. Probably flying to Tenerife, partying and drinking themselves into coma. Nut liqueur, what else.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-24-23 at 02:06 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote