View Single Post
Old 02-08-23, 09:28 PM   #473
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
When I was referring to the 9mm being snappy it was in regard to what some (including me) perceive as a ‘snappy’ felt recoil inherent in micros like the 9mm P365. So Sig and others make excellent magazine grip extensions and though still snappy it gives the shooter a better sense of control, the XL size helps with that too. Both options still keeps the firearm concealed quite well and remains comfortable for all day carry. Which is important too, it’s called conceal carry for a reason. You don’t want others to know that you carry especially if you run across some Karen who sees it, accuses you of brandishing weapon and decides to call the cops while you’re waiting in line for your fries at MacDonalds. IMO part of a conceal carry responsibility is being as discreet as possible but still pack a punch.

I was never a big fan of the micro 9mm partly because of the control ability issues with them that you mentioned and the other part is staying on target. Because of advances in bullet technology, the 9mm is a respectable choice for concealed carry. If the weapons are the same size, the .40 cal is a better choice. The Sig Sauer .357 semi auto is another great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
As for .380 it is thought to be a bit more forgiving. Hence my comment for ladies and Nancy boys that can’t deal with that ‘snappy’ felt recoil of a micro 9mm.

But you’re right if you can hit your intended target a 9mm or .380 is more than capable of doing the job. Also just FYI according to FBI statistics the vast majority of personal defense shooting situations occur with 12 feet. You really don’t need to go big or have some elaborate laser or dot sight or ‘tactical’ attachments, forget that crap. You just need be able quickly draw, point, shoot and hit the target and if possible do so without looking down any sights. Learn to use that thing we all have, a natural point of aim. And remember a CCW permit does not make you a crime fighter or a super hero. It is strictly for your own self defense.

The great thing about the Bursa Thunder .380 Plus is not only the 15 round clips but also the build. The Bersa is basically a copy of the excellent Walthers PPK and a basic blow back design. As such, the Bersa also has a fixed barrel with a spring around the barrel. It's accuracy is very good. You will hit what you aim at. Three dot sights are standard on the Bersa.

You also brought up a great point that I had intended to mention. Most shooting occur at distances at less than 12 feet, according to statistical analysis of shootings. If you shoot at someone from much greater distances, you will be hard pressed to explain to a District Attorney or a jury for that matter how the individual you were shooting at from a distance was a threat to you to begin with.

Chances are, you will be charged. I like the Idea of the .380 as you can incrementally increase the force you use without necessarily killing anyone with the first shot. That's not to say someone can't be killed with the first shot from a .380, it just makes it more unlikely than with a larger caliber weapon. The main point is deterring an aggressor from further attacks.

I bought my lady a SW .357 magnum revolver. I loaded it with + p hollow points in .38 for control-ability. I also have shotguns here, loaded. The revolver remains a great defense gun for a number of reasons.

1. The revolver is practically fool proof.
  2. The cartridges in a revolver are carried outside the gun. This protects the cartridges from having the primers fouled from having the oil from the internal parts in a semi automatic leach into your ammunition.
  3. Further, carrying ammunition in a clip weakens the spring. The first shot in the breech will fire but there is a good chance of the weapon jamming as the slide comes back. Not a good thing to happen in a home self defense weapon.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote