View Single Post
Old 10-17-22, 09:25 AM   #414
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

So, a quick update to the Zippo insert test. I filled mine in early September, stuck the lighter on the shelf, and left it alone. Six weeks later I tested it and the tank had gone dry. I think a regular Zippo will hold fuel longer than the flipping insert.

Don't bother with this "upgrade".

Oh, for the "cow scenario" Option Charlie (do nothing and keep walking) is always in effect. The problem is that you're in a group and you're all hungry. Not everyone is going to see it the same way.

Like I said, there's no "right" answer. Just try to figure out all the angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
One of the items you always want for a bail-out bag or kit is a dependable source for making a fire.

Probably the best tool for this job is a standard Zippo lighter with the original wet tank and flint insert. These "wet" type lighters will run on anything from lighter fuel to gasoline and even diesel fuel in a pinch. They are basically indestructible and simple to operate and also don't require a lot of room (you can easily pack two lighters, just in case).

The only real downside to the basic Zippo is that they will leak fuel in the case of long-term storage.

Here's a cool video I found. Pay attention to the Number 2 and Number 1 inserts.

These "Zorro" inserts have nifty shields for the bottom of the fuel tank and the wick. This will make your lighter(s) a lot more leak and evaporation proof. BTW, make sure to store some extra flints under the fill cap.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote