View Single Post
Old 08-28-22, 12:33 PM   #191
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

This is it! Truss gives EU just TEN days in final ultimatum over hated deal

The Northern Ireland protocol, introduced as part of Boris Johnson's Brexit deal, kept Northern Ireland in the EU single market for goods, effectively creating a border in the Irish Sea - something Mr Johnson had promised voters would only happen "over my dead body". Tory leadership favourite Ms Truss will look to trigger Article 16, allowing the UK to act unilaterally on the protocol, as soon as the existing arrangements to ease checks on goods travelling between Northern Ireland and Great Britain expire on September 15, according to Government sources.

Article 16 can be triggered if the agreement is causing "serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties" or a "diversion of trade", and Ms Truss has warned: "I will not accept anything that does not deliver on the key issues I talked about."

A source close to the likely next Prime Minister told The Times that her preference remained for a "negotiated solution".
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...out&li=AAnZ9Ug

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote