View Single Post
Old 06-19-21, 11:51 AM   #174
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Okay, first attempt, and I sort of blew it, my own fault.

I gave the flour the amount of water that is meant for the other flour that I also use (I always have two, oen for shorter processing and preparation the same day, the other for longer processing over 2 or 3 days). Now, the flour I used today was Caputo Classica Blue, its a weaker flour with less protein and meant for short working time of the dough (preparation and baking on the same day), it can hold only less water (hydration 55-60%) - but I gave it the ammount of water I use to use on the other flour, Caputo Poizzeria red (hydration 65% and even slightly more), which has way more protein and is meant for long working times of 24-48 hours. The blue flour I used today could not hold that additional water too well, so the dough became very soaky, wet, it glued to everything and was glibbery, forming no marble, but an puddle of alien grease. Which was good, from a testing point of view.

Because I normally would consider such a dough as ruined, throw it away and call it a day. But I went on with this one, having on mind that I wanted to see if this additonal 150 degrees in available temperature would make a difference even on a mess like this. And they did!

Mind you, it was a messed up, wet dough, it held no air bubbles anymore, and it was impossible to form a higher rim and a flatter inside. The rim did not form huge air bubbles therefore, and did not rise too high, and evertyhing stayed flat and compact - but NOT GREASY. The dough rose, though only by a fraction of what I want to see, it formed only a very mild crispy crust, but the bottom was not bad, there just was too much flour and semola sticking to it that I used to slide it on and of the peel. Else their would have been even more borwn and blackened areas. It was baked thoruhg, it was compact, but it was not raw.

I consider this first test a success, although I messed up the starting conditions. But I learned some things from it, and it illustrated that the investment pays off, that 400 instead of 250°C really pays off. These messy starting conditions showed me that the greater heat made the difference between throwing it away, and kind of making a last second save. In the normal oven with 250 degrees on a pizza stone plate only, the pizza would not have risen at all , but would have remained to be a slime that I could put on my bread and spread it like butter or nutella. The fault lies in me, not the machine. I am confident for my next attempt next week.

The device is well-manufactured, no loose parts, steel on the outside, double walled, evertyhing fits, nothign looks suspicious. Double layered glass, too, a huge window, most devices of this kind have none or only very small ones. Another detail separating it from the Ferrari G3 is that it has less open slits at the lower rim of the lid where heat could escape. Its the same base construction, but in details it seems to be improved. The timer does not switch off the machine. The thermostate allows smooth setting of temperature from - a cording to the manual - 140°C to 410°C . Pre-heating time was 12 minutes, then the highest setting switched off the preheating. Baking time was 3 minutes. The price was 105 coins, shipping was free. It comes with an additional Teflon pan that could be inserted for the stone, and two halved pizza peels (a principle that worked very well, instead of one fully rounded you have two half rounds).

(Note to myself: start adding semola di grano duro to the dough/flour again, it helps to golden the crust more).

Last edited by Skybird; 06-19-21 at 12:10 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote