View Single Post
Old 10-05-20, 11:10 AM   #243
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Semi serious question: With all the devastation on the west coast, where are all the Sasquatch?
Keep yer head down and yer powder dry. At least the locust haven't shown up yet.
]My wife insists I'm a Yeti in my own right...as for powder, thats somthing of an issue as my 3 lbs reenacting black powder and one tube of modern for reloading 45-70 Sharps & trapdoor Springfield are in a metal trunk with my bullet lead and molds in the mancave armory,,,if the shack goes up...it really goes up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Heard some vineyards and vineries were burnt down, with the loss of some hundreds thousands of bottles.. i know it's only material damage but..
And only 2-5 percent of the fires under control ?
15% contained. One of the museum's other board members is at Schramsburg next to the damaged Castile di Amoroso winery. They had seriously cut back the dense undergrowth and barely saved the old founder's 1850's mansion. Fortunately, most of the bottled stuff is fermenting in deep caves I love to visit but the Cabernet Sauvignon still on the vines is pretty toasted or too smokey to be used. The tourist tax for the county, a major municipal income source, already impacted by Covid(25% hotel occupancy) and residential property taxes are going to be seriously afflicted. But at least the evacuees have places to stay. So far, this season, I've not been summond for anti-looting work...always a problem in these affairs. At my age, it's tough to tell "the bad guys" (locusts! indeed!)anyway if everyone's wearing a mask!!?. EDIT: No sooner do I post this, than I note my local paper's headline: "Hotels welcome evacuees"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
great video...the "new normal" a calm moonlit night with mild winds helps. The fire season,still far from over: 8,200 fires; 4,000,000!! (6,250 sq. miles)acres burned; 31 dead; 8400 buildings. By comparison, the 2018 season only burned 1.67 million acres! I 'spect I'm a "closet Catholic"ie: after time in purgatory surely I shall attain paradise... even Paradise CA [82 dead 95% destroyed)didn't survive!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-05-20 at 09:43 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote