View Single Post
Old 04-01-20, 04:52 PM   #93
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Variously known as Battle for the Baltic or Soviet Waterways it is an awesome supermod.

Additional details are here but no idea if the download links are still active:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ghlight=Baltic

Commanding a Soviet boat is not for everyone and those who are not happy unless they can sink a billion or so tons should probably not bother. I am running v1.11 with an English language add-on that helps but is not truly necessary once you learn your way around the new interface. It is unique to SH4, at least in my experience and going from a US Fleet Boat or a U-Boat career to a Red Banner Fleet career can lead to errors of omission or commission due to the interface changes.

A Baltic Fleet career is a problem, the sea is shallow and full of mines while the Luftwaffe can make your life short but exciting. A ShSch class boat takes almost 3-minutes to dive to 20-metres and while it can reach 30-metres in 2-minutes by crash-diving, this often results in slamming into the sea floor and the resulting damage can be worse than that inflicted on the surface.

In the Arctic with the Northern Fleet you have too much daylight in the summer and almost none in the winter. Most targets are off Norway, which is heavily mined and patrolled. Have not attempted a Black Sea career as yet.

Some things don't work well, at least with my installation. Single missions are problematic and the Museum caused CTD but since these are seldom of interest, missing them is no big deal. That said it has proved stable in the career mode and appears to have no more saved game issues than one has come to expect from the mainstream SH4 supermods.

There is a beautifully illustrated manual like that that ships with SH3-GWX but it is unfortunately in Cyrillic. However, after browsing the available boats you soon learn to recognise the script for the submarine classes and flotillas in the three Fleets. This is an asset when setting up a new career.

Soviet Waterways (Battle for the Baltic) has become my favourite SH4 supermod when looking for a different SH experience. That said, for someone with no knowledge of Russian it can take a fair bit of effort and frustration and dying prematurely is not uncommon.

-C

Last edited by Randomizer; 04-01-20 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added some clarity to the narrative
Randomizer is online   Reply With Quote