View Single Post
Old 05-15-19, 09:56 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
I have watched a number of documentaries about WW2 submarine warfare in the Pacific and have also read a number of books on the same subject. When I try some of the attacks like I've seen other use, SH4 never has the same results. For instance, it seems in real life, Skippers stayed on the surface until approx 4000 yds from the enemy without being seen - I believe they were running decks awash and they seldom get spotted. If I try that, they're on me from 6000 yds or more! All this before I fire a shot. Am I misinterpreting what I've seen/read or doing something wrong? I am using SH4 v 1.4 w/no mods at the moment.
TIA
I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but "wrong" in the real world is different than "wrong" in SH4. The developers apparently gave the AI Super Sensors and Super Sight. You are at distinct disadvantage by approaching within their super sensor range even at night, so I advise against it, realistic or not.

You may want to consider checking out the Beta version of FOTRS-Ultimate, currently in a testing and evolutionary state, but nearing completion as far as I can tell. You still can't brazenly attack on the surface, regardless of weather, time of day, or sea conditions. Japanese gunners, even on merchant men, are deadly from the first shot on. The mod team is fine tuning the sensor ranges, etc. but one should always be wary of the foe in this game, especially as the war progresses.

Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote