View Single Post
Old 03-28-19, 06:30 PM   #7894
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
If by Michael Ward, you mean Michael Wood, encountered the Aux Cruiser Toro at 20:00 hours on Dec 18,1941, about 43 miles east of Cam Ranh Bay, near center of CamranBay01 patrol area. Sailing alone and zig-zagging every 3 to 5 minutes. Mild seas (zero mps). Target spotted torpedoes and tried to avoid. Three of the four hit and ship sank quickly. Fired four, because I had not seen the message to conserve torpedoes, yet.

Oh, yes, lot's of sampans, junks, fishing boats and a crab boat near Cam Ranh Bay.

December 8th, in port orders were to patrol CamranBay01. Once in boat, opened orders and it also showed a secondary assignment to patrol CamranBoay01, which was completed when first ship sunk. A second primary assignment was also to goto Convoy college and await orders. Received this second primary assignment while still at dock. But, I always send a message when I first enter boat, so I will know when I run out of food (instead of making physical note on departure date), so, "Did you get it and the Convoy College after radioing in a Status Report?" Yes.

"...though in reality, the mission would still be open-ended..."

Well, I always stay in area I was sent to. Change in wording to patrol in area assigned would be more immersive, even if one can disobey orders and go to Hiroshima to sink battleship and carrier and get medal.

Question... I sometimes get orders to go to port and take pictures. When I radio in to say I gave completed the mission, I am sent on other missions. Odd, that headquarters doesn't seem in any hurry to get those pictures, which I turn in a month or two later. Is there anything you can do with this or was this typical behavior in the war?

Since I got you, a couple observations. Wake island had 236 Marines and 60 civilians not 4,000 troops. The Wake relief convoy was led by Vice Admiral Pye, not Rear Admiral Fletcher. News flashes in error.

"...I'll foist them upon the unsuspecting public..."

Snicker, snicker.
I saw one of those Toro north of Wake island all by it lonesome but I was returning home and had no fish.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote