View Single Post
Old 03-16-19, 09:15 AM   #3376
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
A man murders 49 innocent people, seriously injures another 49 and your response is "What took so long?"

I think the majority of people on this planet are rational, compassionate beings. At least, that's the kind of people I meet most of the time. (In my travels all over the world, from the U.S. to Germany to Japan and places in-between.) And it doesn't seem to matter what religious or political background they have.

Two wrongs do not make a right. If we lose sight of our morality, we will become nothing more than animals ... or perhaps, even worse than them.
Very well said. I think your experiences mirror those of most people. Most of the people I meet are pretty intelligent and reasonable people, the world over. History has shown us in graphic terms what can happen when a class of people are de-humanized.

To be fair and clarify what Skybird has said, I think what Skybird is saying is that targeting a class of people is becoming more frequent. The newspapers are filled with this very thing. In Pittsburgh Pa, 11 people were killed in a Synagogue while offering morning prayers.

Dylann S. Roof, a white supremacist, killed nine African-American churchgoers city’s Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina.

Most disturbing,on June 17, 2015, the Wednesday when he showed up in Emanuel’s fellowship hall and was offered a seat for Bible study by the Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney. Mr. Roof sat quietly, his head hung low, for about 40 minutes while the group considered the Gospel of Mark’s account of the Parable of the Sower. Then, with the parishioners’ eyes clenched for a benediction, Mr. Roof brandished the .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun he had smuggled into the church in a waist pouch and began shooting.

The alleged shooter in the New Zealand attacks mentioned Dylan Roof as the inspiration for his attacks. There are many other attacks and these are just 2 such examples that are hate based killings and attacks and classified as hate crimes and or terrorism.

http://www.live5news.com/2019/03/15/...f-inspiration/

https://www.thestate.com/news/nation...227876899.html

I don't think Skybird was being callous. Skybird was discussing in a calm, clinical way that incidents of hate motivated attacks are on the rise. That's not to say these attacks are not sad or senseless. As you said Nathaniel and contrary to what Skybird believes, I think most people are decent, moral people. There are a small percentage of people that are dangerous though. I think we are all grappling with these issues right now, searching for the root causes and possible solutions.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-16-19 at 10:00 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote