View Single Post
Old 02-19-19, 09:01 AM   #9189
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Considering that there is just one regiment with one HQ company, two main and one reserve company of light infantry, three inflatable small motor boats and two small solid hull patrol craft, no aircraft whatever, and considering the distance advantage for Spain comparing to the UK's distance in logistics and air cover, and the small size of Gibraltar that makes it an option to simply shelling the hell out of it with artillery until nothing moves anymore, you must agree on the rest what I said as well, if you are a sane man. Militarily defending Gibraltar against a serious attempt by Spain to take it by force, is an excercise in futility. There is no doubt on the outcome. None. Not even a Hollywood screenplay writer would be able to raise doubts on that.
If history has taught you anything my friend then surely one of those things would be never to underestimate the UK in times of a national emergency.

The Argentinians were the last ones to make that mistake and whilst I readily admit the UK in terms of military capability have since diminished, there is still sufficient might that could be put together on land sea and air should a determined concentration of forces be needed for any specific task.

Having said all that, I can't see Spain invading anywhere considering the impications to NATO and the financial consequences to their tourism income, to name but two.

As to my sanity....that is subject to individual perception

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)