View Single Post
Old 02-09-19, 08:08 AM   #6594
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I am not against border security, I am only against that wall, said Dowly.

Assuming for the monent the wall would be an effective border security measure. And not even a lethal one, like the Germna wall was that was build to keep people in, not to keep unwanted foreigners out (although that was what the SED regime claimed when labelling it the anti-fascist protection wall).

Then the quote would be, in brief: I am against effective border security, i only want a strawman alibi to claim I have border security, while de facto I have none.

I am not certain whether that wall will work the way it is inteded. Many border protectors say it will be a shift towards the positive (=the wanted intention), some borde rprotectors say it will not make much difference.

So why not trying it. Fact also is the American people have all right one could imagine whether or not they want foreigners coming in and walkign on their land. Its not the Mexicans' land, they have zero claim for anything in all this. They can and muist ask for permission, and if the answer is no, they have to accept it - unconditionally.

Walls and fences can be good to keep the bad guys out, or to keep people who cannot live together, apart. Only walls that keep apart people that want to live together, and walls keeping innocents locked in, are bad. But this wanting to live together, must be mutual. And if the one side does no share the desire of the other, then a wall is absolutely legitimate, and morally fine. Its the same reasoning why we have doors in our houses and usually locking them.

Walls are demonised in general today. that is absurd. Walls protect, can give shelter, provide cover and security and help law and order. Ask the Israelis whether they compare their walls to the German wall and its death strip, that killing zone of mines and self-shooting installtion. They will say no and prove you black on wide and empirically that where they have build wals, the number of violent incidents and terror attacks by border-crossing terrorists have drmaatically, substantially dropped.

I am a fan of walls and fences, if erected for the right reasons. It helps to keep things sorted, and helps to declare clearly what goes and what not, how far the other can move forward, and where the line in the sand is. Becasue we are not all the same bunch, we are not all the same kind, and not everybody can and wants to live peacefully together with just everyone and everybody else.

Walls provide safety in the generla menaing of keeping unwanted people out. And who is unwated and who not gets decided by just one side: the owner of the place.

On this there can and shall be no compromise.

Whether a wall between the US and Mexico works or not, remaisn to be seen. When it works and empricaly counting things out shows it drops illegal border crossings signfiicantly, then it works. If it doe snot cntrbute to this intention, then it works not. Just one thing is clear: the desire of froegners to corss the border, play absoutely no role here. Not at all.

Else Dowly would need to accept to let me in and give me a third of his garden if I move there and say I want to build a small blockhouse to live there. I cannot imagine he would accept that without setting up a fight. Because its his garden - not mine.