Thread: [WIP] The SH5 EcoMod
View Single Post
Old 01-18-19, 04:36 PM   #76
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quick update on terrain object's LOD issue

As expected, the MinRenderDim controller does nothing on GR2 object, but there is more: wanting to discover what made LOD ranges too short for my sea stack model, I created a copy of one of the stock objects with the longest ranges, and I imported my model into it.

I supposed LOD ranges to be governed by some little know or hidden parameter in mesh's extended data, and I hoped that after switching to a GR2 file with the appropriate ExtendedData settings my model would have been visible from further away, but unfortunately I was wrong and, at close distance, the model was popping in and out as I moved closer of further away from it.

The next step was copying the same (stock) GR2 file used in my previous test, and using it in place of the sea stack without further changes. Result: I could see the model (a group of buildings) from a long distance with no sudden "pop up effect".

At this point I started thinking that LOD distances could be ID/bone name related and that by renaming the bones I could have made the game not to recognize my object as a proper terrain object. To check that I imported the sea stack mesh in the same file as before without changing bone names, but again LOD ranges were too short. That excluded bone names from my list of suspects and it left me with just one reasonable hypothesis LOD ranges are mesh-related. To confirm that, I re-imported the original (stock) mesh in the file of my tests and, in accordance with my last statement, the object was visible again from a long distance.

What can tie meshes and LOD distances? There must be an obvious link, but I am missing it
gap is offline   Reply With Quote