View Single Post
Old 12-29-18, 05:18 PM   #58
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What do you know about LOD distances in the GR2 format?
I will make myself clearer. This is a first rework of Helgoland:

Maybe, on the far right, you will notice a sea stack, the famous Lange Anna, that I have modelled and imported in game.

The problem is that it keeps popping in and out, depending on camera distance and angle. The same goes for shadows, water reflections and other lighting effects. The same applies to other terrain objects (but not all of them!), though normally we won't notice them disappearing as we move away from them due to their proportionally smaller dimensions and to their fading in the background.
IIRC, SHIII and IV terrain objects have far rendering controllers which set the minimum dimension of objects printed on screen before the game stops rendering them. In SH5, sea and air units have LOD models, but nowhere I could find a controller similar to the ones used in SHIII. Units and terrain objects are probably treated in a different way. For one, the latter have no LOD models, when the player is too far from them, they simply disappear, but as I said they all don't disappear at the same time. An object-specific pararmeter must tell the game when it is time to stop rendering any given object and since most of them have only the StaticObject and the HarborObjectCtrl controller applied to them (one related with collision, and the other with night/winter textures), this something must be stored directly in the GR2 models
gap is offline   Reply With Quote