View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 03:42 PM   #10923
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 0

Default Torpedo question..

First a follow-up to your 10/09 6:47 comment on EOT errors...

Since the same problem exists with SH5 Enhanced HUD, I think I'll use the SH3 dials..."familiarity" I suppose. I did get the boat up to 6+kts at Flank while turning, so I think the slowness I saw was due to impatience on my part.

The question is concerning proximity detonators (magnetic pistols). In the four TDC Tutorial sessions that I've done, I've experienced the following...

First session - G7e with mag pistol, range to target at firing - 2100m, target draft 10.5m, torpedo depth 12m, hit forward, target burning.

Second session - 2-G7a torpedo salvo, mag pistols, range to target at firing - 1800m, same target draft and torpedo depth. Both torpedoes ran "hot straight and normal" under the target, neither detonated (watched it on event camera and the TAI).

Third session - same setup, range to target 1600m, same results.

Fourth session - 2-G7a torpedo salvo, impact pistols, range to target at firing - 1900m, same target draft, torpedo depth 6m. Both torpedoes ran "hot straight and normal", hits forward and amidships, target sank.

Any hints what happened with the mag pistols on the 2nd & 3rd practice sessions? They clearly passed just over 1m under that big fat "Cimmaron" type tanker's keel. The date in that tutorial is early 1942 IIRC, there shouldn't be a 100% failure rate for those detonators by that date, right?

Thanks again...in advance.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote