View Single Post
Old 09-27-18, 09:28 PM   #5
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

More of the funnel and quarterdeck.

Carl demonstrates the twin Oerlikon. All of the Oerlikons on the ship still have their magazines and still elevate and traverse, which is a rarity for museum ships.

Ready use lockers for 20mm Oerlikon magazines.

One of the three twin 40mm Bofors guns. All three are in varying condition. This one is probably the best restored, but the aftermost one is pretty rough. Carl allowed the group to handle inert examples of each kind of ammunition used aboard. The Oerlikon shell was a pretty trifling thing, but I almost dropped the Bofors clip he handed me onto the deck! You could tell right away how much more effective the 40mm was in comparison with the 20mm, even if the mount was heavier, required a larger crew, and didn't fire as fast.

Some ready use containers for 40mm clips. You've probably noticed that there are ready use lockers and containers everywhere on the decks.

A view from the superstructure deck looking at the stern of the ship. The tower structure on the right side of the photo contains another Mk 51 director for the Bofors astern of it. Between the two is a compass pedestal.

Ready racks for the depth charge throwers. Interestingly enough, all of the depth charges in the stern tracks are of the older Mk 6 type, while those launched from the side are the newer streamlined Mk 9.

A closer look at two Mk 9 depth charges. Kind of adorable, if not for the 200 pounds of high explosive.

The aftermost part of the superstructure. The big wicker basket thing was a "floater net," which was generally filled with ropes and other items that would, well, float off the ship if it sank. Unsurprisingly, there wasn't enough liferafts were everyone onboard, so they had to resort to measures such as this.

The depth setting ring on the Mk 9. Later versions had a maximum depth of 600 feet.

Have about 10 more pictures to share. Will post the rest in the morning!

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote