View Single Post
Old 08-23-18, 09:48 PM   #22
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption Ranker View Post
Why do I constantly need to reinstall my OS because something broke?
What I meant was, IF you break it, you can always re-install _-IF-_ you don't know enough to un-break it.
There isn't an "activation" limit stopping you...

I've recovered from situations I thought my system was beyond hope.
But IF you don't want to figure out how to fix it, you can do a -quick- re-install.

My point in my last post was: Don't worry about breaking it!!!!

Quote:

You never need to do that in windows,

I've had to re-install Windows more than Linux in my time...
Most of it XP, 98SE too. There were some days I couldn't "un-break" it, unless I used Linux (dual boot, or a Knoppix live-cd) to replace the affected files.
Even then, XP would eventually crash.

(Or *DOS* in the Win95 days.)

It is the main reason I used 2 hard drives in Windows, 1 for the OS, and 1 for all my games/downloads. Most of my games would skip files from a previous install, so it took me 2 minutes per game, instead of 10-20 minutes per game.
DOS ruled here, it didn't have a registry! Didn't crash on me either.

Quote:

but in linux you push the system too hard and you might find out your desktop environment is broken.
I had a problem with my Fedora install, I re-installed, and it didn't fix it....

I finally found the problem, it was the settings files...
I had played with something, that I really shouldn't have, then updated and caused a problem....

The fix was simple, delete the KDE settings folder in the .config directory, and TADA!!! fixed.

Most of my Desktop (i.e. GUI) problems have been fixable with deleting configuration/settings files, or worst case, upgrading/re-installing/downgrading -just those files-.
(using DNF the Redhat/Fedora package manager.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addtion to computer issues, I had this adventure today in car land:

I just finished swapping a "coil on plug" on a Nissan car (not mine thankfully!), and I had to pull the intake to get to the coils/plugs/injectors.

But Wait, That's Not All!
Act Now and you have to pull the Throttle body to get to the last intake bolt.
Which means you have to unplug a bunch of connectors and hoses.
And pull the hose from the Mass Airflow Sensor (only to find it torn in 2 places )

And then you have to pull all of the vacuum hoses and connections on all of these items to get them loose.

Then after that, you have to work around the bracket that you can't get loose because the Nissan tech/mechanic stripped the head on one of the bolts (that would make this slightly simpler).

Then you get it all off, only to realize that the "mis-fire" on Cylinder #1, just might have been a loose connection on the Fuel Injector...
(That you would have to pull the intake to reach anyway!)

Ohh well, too late now!

I seriously doubt that the "lean" error is the O2 sensor, now that I know the intake hose is torn... (between the MAF sensor and the Throttle body).

Any way, off topic!!!

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-24-18 at 11:45 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote