Thread: My Old Boots
View Single Post
Old 08-20-18, 01:58 PM   #8
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I've worn boots from my mid-teens to just a few years ago (medical concerns have forced me into sneakers) since I first saw The Beatles in those Cuban-heeled boots back in 1963. I wore Cuban heels up until recently and even had a pair of boots that were handmade by one of my uncles who was a professional custom shoemaker; they lasted a long, long time and their quality impressed the shoe repair guys I would take them to for re-soles or new heels; I wore them until the leather finally gave out...

Bill Graham, the great rock concert producer and tour promoter, had a pair of extremely worn boots in a glass case in his office. Bill had promoted one of the Rolling Stones US tours in the 70s and noticed Keith Richards using duct tape and other fasteners to keep his favorite boot together while on tour; Bill would keep on Keith about the condition of the boots saying Keith was a very wealthy man, so why didn't he just buy new boots; Keith, always a bit of a contrarian, delighted in annoying Bill by refusing to get rid of the boots...

That particular tour was a particularly big success and The Stones sent Bill very extravagant gifts in thanks for his efforts. There was one separate package from Keith to Bill; inside was the very well-worn pair of boots and a personal letter of thanks from Keith. Bill had those boots put in a display case and placed them in a prominent area of the office...

I do miss wearing boots, but age does have its small penalties, I guess...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-20-18 at 02:37 PM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote