View Single Post
Old 06-14-18, 03:11 AM   #7959
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I should imagine scrapping the state pension would be the death knell for any government contemplating it.

My main worry is if the rules changed whereby only those not in receipt of an alternative would be the only ones to receive a state pension.
Possibly yes, But it will have to go eventually as its not sustainable, given our demographics. more than quarter of the governments budget goes on social protection - most of that being state pension, and it will keep growing for the foreseeable future. I'm betting they will start by raising the bar as to the retirement age and earnings threshold. So less people will qualify, they will probably try to transition it, e.g encouraging the next generation to set up private pension schemes etc. If they remove it slowly enough, few will complain. - That would be the Tory way and anyway -quiet and sneaky dismantling, lots of: 'shh oh look there's something more interesting over there!'.
The Labour version would be keep it going, prop it up with borrowing and continued mass immigration until it all implodes (likely during a major economic /sovereign debt crisis where our grandchildren / children of immigrants will decide they've had enough.)

Last edited by JU_88; 06-14-18 at 04:42 AM.