View Single Post
Old 04-21-18, 11:46 PM   #193
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default The Red Baron Controversy

The Red Baron Controversy:

A mixed combat took place over France on April 21, 1918. On the British side No 209 Squadron was flying an offensive patrol in three sections:

A Flight:
Captain Arthur Roy Brown, Sopwith Camel B7270.
Lt William John MacKenzie, B7245.
Lt Wilfred Reid May, D3326.
Lt Lomas, D3340.
Lt Francis John Williamson Mellersh, D3329. Mellersh was forced to return home with engine troubles, but was back in the air in another Camel and rejoined A Flight at 1010.

B Flight:
Capt Oliver Colin LeBoutillier, D3338.
Lt Robert Mordaunt Foster, B3858.
Lt M.A. Harker, B7272.
Lt Merril Samuel Taylor, B7200.
Lt C.G. Brock, D3328.

C Flight:
Capt Oliver William Redgate.
Lt A.W. Aird.
L E.B. Drake.
Lt C.G. Edwards.
Lt J.H. Siddall.

On the German side were components of Jasta 5, a mixed group of Albatros D.Vs and Fokker Dr.1s:

Kette 1:
Wolfram von Richthoven.
Oberltn Walther Karjos.
Vfw Edgar Scholz.
Ltn Hans-Joachim Wolff.
With them was Manfred von Richthofen in his Fokker Triplane.

Kette 2:
Ltn Hans Weiss.
Ltn Richard Wenzl.

There were also Dr.Is from Jasta 11. From the description given in Under The Guns of the Red Baron it is difficult to tell the exact number of German planes and the names of all the pilots.

Complicating matters was the wind. There is usually a prevailing wind blowing from west to east, dragging any fight into German territory. This day the wind was blowing from east to west, carrying the fight to the Allied side.

Wilfred May was a novice pilot, and had orders to remain on the outskirts of any fight. He was doing just that when a triplane came close enough for him to jump into the fray. This is thought to be Wolfram von Richthofen. He was in turn jumped by another triplane and tried to run for his lines. Seeing this happen, Brown dove after them in an attempt to save his rookie pilot. May was hugging the ground and von Richthofen was right with him. Brown was diving down behind. Brown was firing at the triplane when it suddenly dropped to the ground and crash-landed.

The victory was claimed by Brown, who didn't know who his opponent was until he landed. It was also claimed by ground troops in general and by an Australian machine-gun company, who gave the credit to gunner Cedric Popkin. The controversy arises mainly from the fact that once the identity of the victim was established the plane was stripped of almost all its fabric by souvenir hunters. There is no way to establish how many times the plane itself was hit, or from what direction. Von Richthofen was hit once. Much has been made of the angle of the wound, saying it "must have" come from the ground. Two complications arise here. First is that no one knows for sure the attitude of von Richthofen's Dr.I at the fatal moment, which means the bullet could have come from almost any direction. Second is that while the body was examined twice, it wasn't opened up with the intent of establishing entry and exit wounds. RAF pilots of course insist that they witnessed the final shots and had no doubt it was Brown's kill. On the other hand the Australian gunners were right there and insist it belongs to Popkin. The actual truth will never be known.

Quote:
"It's a terrible thing when you think of it that they should examine a body just to see who should have the credit of killing hin."
- Arthur Roy Brown

"The sight of von Richthofen as I walked closer gave me a start. His face, particularly peaceful, had an expression of gentleness and goodness, of refinement. Suddenly I felt miserable, desperately unhappy, as if I had committed an injustice. with a feeling of shame, a kind of anger against myself moved in my thoughts, that I had forced him to lay there...I cursed the war. If I could, I would gladly have brought him back to life."
- Arthur Roy Brown