View Single Post
Old 04-19-18, 04:09 PM   #4587
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
One look at any of the maps that go by county, shows why Donald Trump is and should be President. The country very clearly went red, and only certain cities went Blue.
You seem to be missing one salient point, which is that most of those red counties don't have any people in them. Well, a few of course, but the fact is that most of the people live in those cities you deride. A good example is Utah, where I live. The state is 70% Mormon, and therefore theoretically 70% Conservative. The problem is that one little blue swath by the Great Salt Lake. More than half the state's population live in just three metro areas, and the largest, Salt Lake City, has just the opposite demographic - it's predominantly Liberal. If the states weren't mostly all-or-nothing the map would be far different. And no, the states have not always been all-or-nothing.

Quote:
Hence the Electoral College and why we have it.
You need to study history more. The Electoral College was created specifically because the Founders didn't want the people voting for President at all. The EC was to be appointed by the States " in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct..." They don't seem to have conceived of the States actually inviting the people to vote for the electors.

Quote:
This was a landslide of which we haven't seen in a good long time in this country.
Landslide? How do you figure that. Clinton actually won the popular vote. Cite the Electoral College all you like, the simple fact is that more people wanted her to be President than wanted Trump. In the EC Trump won by a margin of 56%-42%. That's big, even impressive. If you want to see a real landslide look at 1940, when Franklin Roosevelt beat Alf Landon by 523-8, or 98%-2%.

I understand that, like a lot of people, you're more concerned with your side winning than with actually discussing the issues, but if Trump being elected made you proud I'd say your standards are rather on the low side.